Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: This Old Brit's Personal Elvis Presley Tribute ...

16 August 2007

This Old Brit's Personal Elvis Presley Tribute ...

On the 30th anniversary of his untimely death how could we ever be forgiven if we didn't pay a tribute of some kind to the late lamented Elvis Presley - "The King" of rock & roll?

Though at this time we'd point out that our particular Elvis favourites were invariably his ballads.

Anyway, here's his Wikipedia entry.

Then there are these two very diffent videos we hope you'll enjoy.

First, a handsome young Elvis sings 'Love Me Tender'.



Next, there's this seriously sad rendition of 'My Way'- when the end truly was near - though few of us realised at the time how close it was.



Hit this link to savour plenty more professional performances.

And finally, a few photographs that pretty well speak for themselves re: this unparalleled performer extraordinaire's personal 'rise and fall'.





Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger enigma4ever said...

I am shocked....no ONE else yet..wow..
I think he was the end of an era...many remember exactly remember where we were when we heard he had died...
thank you for sharing....

4:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thanks too, Richard. So many happy memories of those heady days. What a needless wast it was. He went downhill from the day his wife walked out - so sad. And to think her virtually 'ate himself to death - thanks to gluttony and junk food.

Enigma, you're right about remembering -- I was holidaying in a caravan in the English Lake District.

5:37 pm  
Blogger enigma4ever said...

I was at a party at the beach...and a group of us were piercing our ears ( don't ask- Nursing students and a sewing needle and a potato...and yes, too MANY TALL drinks with unbrellas and a broken blender...)
Anyways I will never forget. becuase we were being very noisy and laughing and I had just had one ear pierced....and we were about to do the other....and then the announcement came on the radio....right after a Beach Boys Song...and we all just Stopped...Time truly stood still...and Suddenly we all were very sober...

we held a Vigil that night on the Beach...with many candles it was very beautiful...haunting...like losing a friend that you didn't Know well enough...

I listen to him still all the time...esp his Christmas songs- year round....

11:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to believe he's been gone 30 years!

I can't remember where I was or what I was doing when I heard he'd died, but I sure can recall clearly the first time I ever saw and heard him perform -- on the Ed Sullivan show, one night in 1956.

My parents were horrified and disgusted ... but I thought he was the King of Sultry Cool. Thank heavens I hadn't hit puberty yet, I'd have been a wreck, totally in lust with him.

And the music on the radio was so much more gutsy, more alive after he'd made the scene. Now there's someone whose life undeniably made a difference!

8:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, huh, huh.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home