Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: Galloway & Palast; Is A Prosecution Pending ?

05 October 2005

Galloway & Palast; Is A Prosecution Pending ?



Last month, George Galloway and Greg Palast both had public speaking engagements to fulfill for North American audiences. It just so happened that Galloway got to go first.

A quick count of the coppers in This Old Brit's personal coffers clearly confirmed what he'd suspected. Borasic lint -- skint -- flat broke.

Even the cheapest of cheapo round trip air tickets was unmistakably, unaffordable.

And any quaint notion of considering Cunard as a carrier, of course, was completely out of the question.

Ain't life a bitch?

Whatever.

As dearly as he'd have loved to watch and listen to both, he soon, sadly accepted the fact that this was merely one more of his dreams which wouldn't come true.

Bugger! And a bloody big, boo-hoo, too.

But back to business.

That Gregory Palast has written & published some pretty powerful pieces, definitely can't be denied. And This Old Brit once admired most of it as much as anyone else did.

But that was in the past, and this is the present.

Immediately prior to Palast's pre-planned 'articulation-appearances', he suddenly stunned some thousands of people when - from his website - without warning - he launched an astonishing personal attack on George Galloway.

Unashamedly and unbelievably, he'd decided to drag up the same old shit that had been previously hurled, repeatedly, at the Respect Party MP - re; some supposed financial irregularities, concerning the canny Scot.

A poisonous pea-soup of slurs, slanders, innuendo and [previously proven as] downright lies -- Palast lobbed the whole lousy lot all over Galloway, again!

And this in spite of the fact that Galloway had on several occasions taken several similarly stupid, shit stirrers to the courts and sued them -- successfully; without exception.

Witness for example, what's quoted below by Galloway.


Palast conflates meetings, truths and half-truths, statements taken out of context to produce a toxic smear which would be actionable in the country he claims to work in, my country. How many times do I have to respond to the ravings of guttersnipes?

Sounds like strong stuff, eh? Well, so it should be. One can easily imagine how sick & tired the burly Scotsman must be of having such, serial hatred continually rehashed and repeatedly hurled in his face.

How the hell could Palast have forgotten, or failed to grasp the fact that every slimy, sob who's so far failed to provide any evidence of such awful allegations, has actually ended up building up George Galloway's bank balance?

Surely, Palast's either totally 'lost it' -- or is totally desperate?!

Grab a glimpse of this, from the same source as above.


Until a couple of days ago I hadn't heard of Greg Palast in years, the man who claims to have been pursuing me with questions for two months.

He has never phoned, written, emailed or made any other contact with me, which is curiously reminiscent of the behavior of the US Senate committee.

Having now forced myself to look at his pernicious writing, it seems like the deranged ramblings you might expect to find pushed out from under the door of a locked ward.

He claims to be a journalist.

He clearly doesn't get much work.


Hmm. Maybe all of the above, eh? Maybe Palast has lost it - and is desperate.

But here's what Old Brit believes is the best bit -- what he calls Galloway's 'biggy'.


But what I will not tolerate -- and will sue in any territory where it is possible to do so -- is the lie that I personally benefited financially from the campaign.

That sounds like fighting talk. Both a threat and a promise, wouldn't you say?

Sort of like saying 'either shut up or prepare to pay up' - eh?

But before being let loose on the link to 'the lot' - please linger a little longer.

When Galloway left the US and crossed the Canada border to continue his tour, a good Canadian friend of mine [who I'd previously urged not to miss the chance to meet the man] got herself a ticket to a Galloway-talk.

So, on the eagerly awaited evening in question, she went.

She saw him, heard him, believed him, loved him, met him, spoke to him, shook hands with him and was by all accounts completely 'blown away' by him.

She even got herself a personally signed copy of his book - Mr Galloway Goes to Washington. ( Remember when he made monkey-mincemeat out of US Senator Norm Coleman & Co? )

What my fine friend Phyl from Toronto, also did - was pass This Old Brit's 'blog credentials' to Galloway. He told her he'd "be sure to check it out".

Well, maybe he did and maybe he didn't -- and maybe we'll never know.

But this morning, came something sort of special.

Only rarely does This Old Brit ever bother browsing through his automated [and often, far too filter-strict] junk-mail-bin ---- you know, just in case.

Now, hit the link to see what showed up - two weeks later than it should have.

http://www.zmag.org/content/print_article.cfm?itemID=8776&sectionID=1

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard,

I will admit when I saw what Palast wrote I sent him an angry message. It's been acknowledged (probably by a clerical helper) as having been received, but no response has followed. I don't expect one.

Palast and an assistant have been very supportive of the work that is being done to expose U.S. election issues and Election Reform efforts, providing significant support for the just completed National Summit Conference in Oregon and providing interviews in the past conducted by our Texas friend on KPFT radio on that subject.

I appreciate Palast for this and for the many other things he has helped to expose in the last several years.

At the same time I LOVE what I've seen of Galloway. His remarks to the Senate are a treasure I shall always keep and share. I am not alone. (especially since the Senate decided to strike those words from the official record).

We need both of them. Each in his own way is making an important impact on American audiences.

I sure hope these two can bury the hatchet.

5:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has Galloway done wrong?

Palast DID bury the hatchet ... right from the start ..... in Galloway's head.

I never heard Galloway mention Palast before ...... ever.

I can't see what Galloway has to apolgise for .... but Palast should

11:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palast is basically a good guy, but he "caved in" some time ago.

He needs the money so, he does what he needs to, on a day to day basis.

Sad but true.

He's being used and he knows it but, he doesn't know what else to do.

I hope Galloway doesn't sue him, because he will win, and that could finish off Palast, literally.

I'm not sure he deserves such rough justice.

3:06 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

"especially since the Senate decided to strike those words from the official record"

Oh man, I'm so glad that Galloway kept a record of them, then, and put them in his book. And that it's on tape, and people will be able to watch it (that testimony was a beauty and a joy to watch, even just the couple of minutes that I saw).

Richard, hurray that Galloway has responded and obliterated these lies -- again.

I have no idea what Palast is up to. Honestly, they're WORKING TOWARD THE SAME GOAL. What can possibly be wrong with that man?? Palast's work is so necessary to fighting the Bush crowd in the U.S. -- why on earth must he attack a fellow warrior? It infuriates me.

Why he could possibly want to split and fracture the anti-fascism movement in the world, I can't fathom. But I sure know who I'd choose if I were absolutely, finally, forced to choose between these two.

3:09 pm  
Blogger markfromireland said...

I don't have all that much time for Galloway my take on him is that his record speaks for itself and provides plenty of ammunition for those who want it. I'm on record on the Liberal Avenger site as saying repeatedly that he and Hitchens deserve one another.

That being said I have zero sympathy for any journalist or "commentator" irrespective of where in the political spectrum they fall who fails to do a basic fact checking. Quite apart from the libel aspect one of the most basic protections we have is the right to know what is going on and of saying "stop that right now" to, for example, politicians. Every time some journalist or commentator fails to do even a minimal fact check they hand of their own free will yet another chisel to those who want to wear down our hard won liberties.

6:09 pm  
Blogger Administrator said...

This is too much.

When Galloway lambasted the Senate, I went to a bit of trouble to find an email for him and praised him to the skies for speaking out. If it takes a Brit to show placid, passive Americans how it's done,, so be it.

Then the Palast piece. I do like Greg Palast more than most, but he is much more openly pro-Israel of late. It is very noticable. Hell, maybe AIPAC has gotten to him, too.

I am sorry if Palast has gone over to the other side.

7:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can anyone say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

can anyone say ££££££££££££££££

can anyone say MI5+MI6+CIA+Mossad

can anyone say intel+spy+double dealer+double agent+cupboard-skeletons+false flags+dirty trix+realpolitiks

never black and white..... only shades of gray

always follow the money

go figure

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said, Anonymous.

always follow the money

11:54 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Duh! I'm late for work, again.

Anyhow, first the good news: Helen's home.

Second, catch up time; back with response[s] soon.

11:55 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Rosemary, like yourself, I agree that Palast has done great things in the past but, I have to emphasise 'the past'.

I hold him no personal malice but he's not the man he was - well, not in my eyes.

A long time ago, I found out he'd been [let's be kind] 'economical with the truth' - on several ocaisions. So that upset me and, made me wary.

After a while I relented and beagn reading him again - in spite of his regular 'exagerations' - you may remember, I even had permanent link on this blog to his site, for a while.

The minute he took off with his Galloway rant[s] [which if anyone goes to his place to read, contains nothing but repetition of - previously, proved in several courts to be false - claims of criminality.

That was his last chance as far as I was concerened - he'd blown it for good, with me.

It gives me no pleasure to say any of this, though - 'cos like you, I know he could do so much good - if he just kept 'things clean'.

12:10 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

kiwi and anonymous,

Not to brush over things lightly - and not to repeat what I've just said to Roesmary - I can't argue with either of you. I think youre both right in your own ways.

It is SO bloody frustrating, isn't it?

12:16 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

* What can possibly be wrong with that man?? Palast's work is so necessary to fighting the Bush crowd in the U.S. -- why on earth must he attack a fellow warrior? It infuriates me.

Why he could possibly want to split and fracture the anti-fascism movement in the world, I can't fathom. But I sure know who I'd choose if I were absolutely, finally, forced to choose between these two.


Phyl, exactly! That's what we need to find out.

Call me biased if you must but, unless someone comes up with an answer I find credible [and honourable] I personaly, can't any longer put any trust in Palast.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Mark, On the Hitch/Galloway meet - I'm with you all the way. Galloway disappointed me there. They did deserve each other - it turned into a case of 'bitch bitching at bitch'. Or in other words 'a load of balls'.

I won't try to hide the fact that I've got more time for Galloway than you have - and as you've probably read into in my previous responses - I honestly do find Palast to be much more pernicious - of late.

12:27 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

anonymous, what can I say to you?

I certainly get your general gist but I'd love it it you had a little less cryptic and a little clearer message to share.

Don't get me wrong by the way, that's not sarcasm - that's a genuine 'request' if you know what I mean.

12:32 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

d.f.f,

You and I are obviously both thinking and saying the same things - about both men.

Let's hope time will tell - us all the real truth[s] - soon.

12:36 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Elaine, thanks for caring about us.

And -- as for Freda Weinberg[s?] -- how could anyone ever forget her?!

What a woman, eh? A Zionist, American, liberal. Who worked for so long helping train the bully boy police - and who worked for Palast - and constantly bragged openly about both.

Wasn't it soon after she laughingly bragged about herself, Palast et al, sitting laughing at "us" - in the comfort of "chez Palast" - eh?

One has to wonder what the real reason behind him foring her so soon after that.

Was she sacked for lying - or for telling the truth?

Incidentally, was it Prof William Rivers Pitt [Truthout] or Prof Mark Crispin Miller she then went to work for?

Remeber how many people warned [whichever one it was] about what they were letting themselves in for? And how those peole were ignored.

Well, it wasnt long before we were all proved right, was it?

And didn't it prove a costly mistake for her Palast-replacement, boss.

BTW, was that monetary/legal matter/nightmare ever sorted out - did you ever hear?

12:48 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Rosemary,

You mentioned *our Texas friend on KPFT - and it was remis of me not to include her in my earlier response.

I love her! She is dedicated, tireless and sincere in her ongoing, hardwork - as indeed are you.

I realised immediately when I first broached the subject of Palast [on Tapa] that '[t]here was something' we weren't exactly seeing 'eye to eye' on.

Not because of anything nasty she said in response - she never has done - but I sensed I'd touched upon 'something'.

As it's never been my style to 'argue or debate' with friends on just one diffence of opinion, when we have so much more in common - I decide this was simply of of those times that discretion would prove to be the better part of valour.

As I said - I love her and admire her - a lot.

Just as it seems Mark from Ireland and I aren't 'clones' on the same suject - the same seems true with Z.

I think that's great. The other side are clones [as well as clowns] and I think it's great that our side are so much more civilised than our common enemy.

Even the missus and I don't hold exactly the same view on absolutely every single subject/topic/person - but so what? We're still inlove with each other and are still happy together - even devoted.

I hope that comes across in the spirit I intend it. :^)

2:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Brit,

anon should also have mentioned new shekels ...... and trojan horses ..... maybe that would make his cryptic comments clearer ...

(hee,hee - now you got everyone [even me] aliterating

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job guys

how big is palast in uk?

here's how big

most brits never heard of him ... but what he writes for americans does exagerate

you got me started... so i did a search on the official bbc website.... for greg palast .... yeah like he's a real big deal there... not

see how much he does for em .... and how often


http://newssearch.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=newsukfs&tab=news&q=greg+palast&go.x=38&go.y=19

6:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Galloway, Palast, Old Brit you're all the same. As bad as each other and you'er all terrorist sympathisers and your readers and posters are. You should be living with them where you belong.

7:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what did mind your business said . . . pour over his cornflakes this morning a little arsenic perhaps? In light of our current political climate and the ever growing warmhearted Old Brit crew - I'm quite proud to be called a terrorist sympathiser!

7:47 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

bluey, Thanks for that.

anonynous, You too. I'll check it out.

11:36 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

m.y.b,

Thanks for the little bit of light relief.

Yeah, we love you too.

11:39 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

graniab,

With any luck, he did - then ate them all. ;^]

Elaine,

You tell me ! :^ )

11:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

galoway sucks

12:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if mr palast has sold out, he might find himself in some conflicted-trouble soon.

he did a lot of work on that GTECH/TANG/BENNETT story which will hopefully come up at the imminent scotus hearings.

i'd love to see that story get a full airing on national teeve.

9:14 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Lukery,
Hi - long time no see.

Any links I should look at? Please tell me more.

2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home