Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: Four stamps & a bottle opener ...

15 April 2005

Four stamps & a bottle opener ...

My doctor recently changed my medication. I've just had to check that little paper insert that lists possible side-effects. There was no mention of hallucinations, so I went back to the newspaper story I'd previously begun reading. It still said the same as it did when I looked the first time. Not surprisingly, my eyebrows soon raised as high as they did the first time.

Apparently, a Californian man just won an auction for four stamps & a bottle opener -- on eBay. Well, so my newspaper said. And, OK, OK, I know what you're thinking:that paper must have some real weirdo news editor. With all that's going on in the world these days, how the hell can that be judged worthy of space in a national daily?! Right? That's what you're thinking. Right?

So, here's the low down on what went down. A man in Sioux City, Iowa, put the stamps & opener up for sale along with an old, stale piece of wafer. Next -- and no matter how this is reading right now, this isn't a joke -- next thing was, it went. The stuff had sold for a cool, grand.

The high bidder & now new owner, has since said he bought the 'lot' to stop the wafer "falling into the hands of a witch or Satanist." The seller's since said he doesn't believe he'll "be going to hell" for selling something so special.

Stay with me, please. This is true. This is news. Let me report -- then you decide.

It seems this all started way back in 1998, in Rome, Italy. That's when the seller claims he went to the Vatican and received communion from the recently deceased Pope John Paul 2. That's when, where and how his wafer was blessed -- along with his stamps & bottle opener. Surprisingly, he says he's not even Catholic. The Californian buyer catergorically claims he is.

I ask you, can you bloody well Adam & Eve it?!?! Talk about fools and their money.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2005 Richard Morrison

4 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Amazing, isn't it, Elaine? Now I know where I went wrong on eBay - no wonder I'm not rich - I should have listed more than just books.

9:44 am  
Blogger Richard said...

I've just been trying to post a comment at you blog, Elaine. It won't work & I don't know why - do you?

2:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Sounds like a great new career—selling holy objects to keep them out of the hands of devil-worshippers. I've got a pear shaped like a sitting Buddha.... Somehow I don't think I'll get any $1000 takers for it.

4:41 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Harper, after this last one & the 'piece of old toast' not long ago - who knows? :^)

11:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home