Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: A Message From An American Marine ...

09 December 2006

A Message From An American Marine ...



Pictured above is Philip Martin.

He's 21 years old and has been a U.S. Marine for 2 years.

He's a "grunt" in the infantry. He's spent 7 months in Iraq.

He's completed over 180 combat patrols both inside and outside Fallujah, where he was hit with 2 IEDs though thankfully, escaped injury. He's also survived several fierce firefights.

Currently, Philip's based at Twentynine Palms, CA, and is set to be sent back to Iraq in April next year.

Here's a clip from a message from Philip.

I'm sick and tired of this patriotic, nationalistic and fascist crap. I stood through a memorial service today for a young Marine that was killed in Iraq back in April.

During this memorial a number of people spoke about the guy and about his sacrifice for the country. How do you justify 'sacrificing' your life for a war which is not only illegal, but is being prosecuted to the extent where the only thing keeping us there is one man's power, and his ego.

A recent Marine Corps intelligence report that was leaked said that the war in the al-Anbar province is unwinnable. It said that there was nothing we could do to win the hearts and minds, or the military operations in that area. So I wonder, why are we still there? Democracy is not forced upon people at gunpoint.

( * Here, This Old Brit has snipped substantially, so as to skip straight through to this. * )

The sad fact of the matter is that we are not fighting terrorists in Iraq. We are fighting the Iraqi people who feel like a conquered and occupied people. Personally I have a hard time believing that if I was an Iraqi that I wouldn't be doing everything in my power to kill and maim as many Americans as possible.

I know that the vast majority of Americans would not be happy with the Canadian government, or any other foreign government, liberating us from the clutches of George W. Bush, even though a large number of us would like that, and forcing us to accept their system of government.

Would not millions of Americans rise up and fight back? Would you not rise up to protect and defend your house and your neighborhood if someone invaded your country? But we send thousands of troops to a foreign country to do just that.

How is it moral to fight a people who are just trying to defend their homes and families? I think next time I go to Iraq perhaps I should wear a bright red coat and carry a Brown Bess instead of my digitalized utilities and M16.

Please take the time & trouble to read this young man's message in it's entirety.

You'll find it posted at Lew Rockwell's. You'll also find that from there you can email young Phil, personally.

We don't know about you but we'd say here's a brave young trooper who would certainly appreciate some show of support -- especially from his fellow American citizens.

*

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That kid's got gots. Imagine him making so bold so publicaly, on the web.

I hope he doesn't get too much flack, and I don't mean the kind he got in Iraq.

5:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, Rex.

But just wait till you hear all the assholes who start calling him a coward -- from the comfort of their own armchairs and keyboards, etc.

I'm emailing the kid. I hope everyone who reads his letter does.

7:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm holding that boy in the light.

9:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fear for his safety from his own combat unit. What he did was very brave, but dangerous. He may not realize how dangerous.

9:11 pm  
Blogger markfromireland said...

Good posting richard, I don't get here as often as I'd like or comment as much as I should but that's a very good find, a brave young chap isn't he?

Here's something related:

How the army recruits: Your country needs YOU!

I've been following the fuss in the UK papers about the recruitment methods. The link is to a good article in the Independent on Sunday. I really think anyone in the UK with relatives of recruitable age should read it.

TTFN

7:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard, thanks for posting this. I can only hope that young man sticks to his guns no matter what crap his colleagues and superiors give him for telling it like it IS.

I just wish his attitude were shared by every American soldier and civilian.

At any rate he's got an "attaboy" e-mail awaiting him from this veteran.

4:02 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He'll get one from me too, and from others I know.

Thanks Old Brit.

4:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That young man sees 'the facts on the ground,' unlike most corporate propaganda whores, who are staying in Baghdad, to put up their heavy make-up, in order to report prepared Pentagon essays, from the roof of the hotels, where they stay.

He has the courage to break the code of silence, to tell us about the whole futility of that quagmire, and also about the basic injustice of that war, simply, but still eloquently, showing great empathy to the suffering of the Iraqi people.

He has my support and admiration.

Now, the next question: What are we, but particularly our American cousins, going to do?

8:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IpA0fi The best blog you have!

7:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home