UN Report Reveals US "3rd World" Hidden Health Horrors ...
In between the UN big boys' current get together in the Big Apple, the international press expose/coverage of the pitiful plight of the poor caught up in the chaos of Katrina and, the continually escalating carnage in Iraq -- an unbelievable UN health related report was released.
But as is all too often the case, the story of the shocking and scandalous situation in the United States' regarding many millions of poor and underprivledged American people's plight, seemed to simply slip US mainstream media's mind. Whether the brushing under the carpet of such a shameful state of affairs was by accident or by so called intelligent design remains to be revealved.
Here's one of the horrendous, heartbreaking headers heralded across the world by the UK's Independent, a few days ago.
Astonished? Alarmed? Astounded? Ashamed?
UN hits back at US in report saying parts of America are as poor as Third World
By Paul Vallely
Published: 08 September 2005
Parts of the United States are as poor as the Third World, according to a shocking
United Nations report on global inequality.
Claims that the New Orleans floods have laid bare a growing racial and economic divide in the US have, until now, been rejected by the American political establishment as emotional rhetoric.
But yesterday's UN report provides statistical proof that for many - well beyond those affected by the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina - the great American Dream is an ongoing nightmare.
All of the above?
Thanks to Democrats dot com, who captured the Independent's piece from the pay-to-read portion of their online edition, the full article is now avaiable for all to see -- for free.
But be prepared for the possibilty of puking when perusing the appaling paragraphs below.
Including paragraphs pointing out frightening figures of the iniquitous, inequalities of the laughingly labeled 'health care provision' in the 21st century, United States' so-called civilised society.
Along with paragraphs pointing out pathetic percentages aplenty, like these.
* 13% of US national income is disbursed disproportionaly on healthcare for whites.
* Baby boys of America's top richest 5% families live lives lasting 25% longer than boys born to the poorest 5%.
And here's the BIG one.
* The US infant mortality rate is now every bit as bad as the 3rd world's, Malaysia.
Then the catalogue continues.
* While 13 % of white Americans remain uninsured, an amazing 21% of black citizens and an horrendous 34% of Hispanics suffer similarly.
* Child poverty rates in the US currently include more than 20% of it's young population.
* Over 40% of uninsured inhabitants of America have no regular place to recieve medical treatment.
* In excess of 33% of this same section of citizens claim that in the last 12 months at least one unfortunate member of their family missed out on much needed medical care, including prescription drugs, pimarily due to their offical poverty stricken status.
None-plussed? Numbed? Nauseated?
One certainly should be.
Compassionate conservatism? Huh. Much more like indefencible and icorrigable indifference, thinks This Old Brit.
Read the rest of this recent UN report's revelations.