Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: About Bush, Booze And Viet Nam ...

17 November 2006

About Bush, Booze And Viet Nam ...



We see that George W. Bush eventually made it to Viet Nam.

We wonder what took him so long.

But better late than never, we suppose.

Eh?

We saw something else about Bush. And about booze.

I was asked on BBC radio a couple of days ago whether Democratic victories would temper Bush's recklessness. I replied that I could answer that only if I could peer into the strange mind of a 60-year-old recovering alcoholic named George W Bush.

Rumours persist here (and I have heard them repeated at a very senior level in the UK, too) that Bush has actually resumed drinking; I throw this into the mix not to sensationalise, but because I have now heard the rumour repeated at a sufficiently high level that I believe we must face the possibility that it might be true.

Bush was huddled inside the White House eating beef and ice cream on election night with Rove, my friend Josh Bolten, and four other trusted aides who will stick with him to the end.

He was not drinking on this occasion, I'm assured - but, more than ever, my depiction of an unstable man living out his final days in office inside his bunker seem no longer to be fanciful. Hemmed in by Democratic foes wherever he looks, determined to be remembered in history as an unwaveringly strong leader, and increasingly detached from reality: now that suddenly becomes a very frightening vision indeed.

We extracted the above excerpt from a recent New Statesman piece, penned by Andrew Stephen.

Read all of Andrew's article.

*

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So he's graduated from DUI to WWUI (waging war under the influence)

Heaven help us

12:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I could have thrown in an apt AWOL reference too if I'd thought about it -- but I'm on my way out the door right now. Maybe later.

12:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWOL? He never went back. That's desertion. Desertion while at war. What's the prescribed punishment for that?

4:17 pm  
Blogger markfromireland said...

I just wish I could have seen his Vietnames hosts faces. They have to have been thinking something along the lines of

"This trained chimpanzee is standing in HO CHI MIN CITY and talking about staying the course? And talking about winning?????"

Richard and readers does any of you happen to know what the Vietnamese for bwaaaahahahahahahaha is?

6:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Viet-Namese have doors that Bush can figure out how to open? And I wonder which of George's travelling food-tasters drew the short straw this time?

So many, many things, I wonder. So many, many things I hope and pray for ..

8:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea that such a sorry excuse for a man has his 'finger-on-the-button' is terrifying.

11:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Bush hadn't got poppy to pull strings to keep him safely away from Nam, he may have suffered the same fate as many more did - fellow Americans and Vietnameese.

Now, there's a thought ...

4:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark--

"Richard and readers does any of you happen to know what the Vietnamese for bwaaaahahahahahahaha is?"

I happen to know that one:

xi xi xi xi xi

9:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YBhjlN The best blog you have!

10:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home