Blogroll Me! How This Old Brit Sees It ...: A Dylan Message To The Masters Of War ...

30 June 2006

A Dylan Message To The Masters Of War ...




Anyone else as old as This Old Brit & Richard, or thereabouts, is bound to remember a certain old hippy every bit as well as we do.

One of the long time good old guys of anti-war, peace activisism, if ever there was one.

Goes by the name of Dylan.


Ring any old bells? We bet is does.

Well, here's something he wrote.

"Masters of War"

Come you masters of war
You that build all the guns
You that build the death planes
You that build the big bombs
You that hide behind walls
You that hide behind desks
I just want you to know
I can see through your masks


You that never done nothin'
But build to destroy
You play with my world
Like it's your little toy
You put a gun in my hand
And you hide from my eyes
And you turn and run farther
When the fast bullets fly


Like Judas of old
You lie and deceive
A world war can be won
You want me to believe
But I see through your eyes
And I see through your brain
Like I see through the water
That runs down my drain


You fasten the triggers
For the others to fire
Then you set back and watch
When the death count gets higher
You hide in your mansion
As young people's blood
Flows out of their bodies
And is buried in the mud


You've thrown the worst fear
That can ever be hurled
Fear to bring children
Into the world
For threatening my baby
Unborn and unnamed
You ain't worth the blood
That runs in your veins


How much do I know
To talk out of turn
You might say that I'm young
You might say I'm unlearned
But there's one thing I know
Though I'm younger than you
Even Jesus would never
Forgive what you do


Let me ask you one question
Is your money that good
Will it buy you forgiveness
Do you think that it could
I think you will find
When your death takes its
toll
All the money you made
Will never buy back your soul


And I hope that you die
And your death'll come soon
I will follow your casket
In the pale afternoon
And I'll watch while you're
lowered
Down to your deathbed
And I'll stand o'er your grave
'Til I'm sure that you're dead



And right here & now we're proud to present a "Pearl Jam" performance [recorded live at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversay] as they sing similarly.

Simply switch on your speakers then click centre-screen arrow.



*

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dylan's words - as powerful as they always were.
(not sure about that group\band though).

7:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took massive and continuing protests to end the US war in Viet Nam. I took a lot of very brave people (mainly the younger ones) some of who were shot dead on college campuses by fellow Americans in uniforms.

Is that going to happen again?

I think not. There are no young lions left in the US. Those who could do something show no sign of trying to.

It's so sad, and just you wait and see, in the longer term it's Americans themselves who will suffer most for their inactions. There are over 3 hundred million Americans. Are they ALL scared shitless? Of their own government?

I would HATE to be in that position. They are litterally 'occupied' - and meekly accept it.

10:00 pm  
Blogger erdla said...

Sheeple is a good word for most Americans at present. They're either Republican Sheeple or Democratic Sheeple. With maybe one or two green sheeple in their who need to believe desperately that Nader isn't in Cheney's pocket.

12:21 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, there is another tom here! My parents should've gave me a name like Ottocar (Ottokar) or something like that......(or maybe not).

OK, I will be tom v. from now on.

The lyrics of Bob Dylan never sounded more poignant and more urgent in its condemnation of Evil working for destruction and death as well as the many minions of his enablers who sold their Soul to him. Thanks for posting it.

4:35 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Apologies for late response, all.

Anyhow better late than never.

Thanks, Tom. You know it's appreciated.

And, Noel. Where have you been hiding your light of late? I often think of you too, so it's good to *see* you and to get those views & links of yours. You know you're more than welcome around here -- always.

I take it you're still working as hard [and actively] as ever. More power to your elbow, my friend. But don't leave it so long next time, eh?

Peace.

8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home